We interrupt part #2 of "Trip to Turnbull" sort of, yeah its like that

Sorry to jump a blog post ahead on you, but things happen and sometimes its for the better. This is one of those times. I have been planning on getting a new camera for a while now and had been saving up to do just that. Last week though the camera gods smiled on me and I not only was able to get the camera I wanted, I was able to get the lens and adapters and even some extra batteries. Now all this without dipping into my savings so thats a bonus. So now that I got all that I needed to go test it out, so where did I go? Why I went to Turnbull National wildlife resurve naturely. The camera I got is the Canon R7, its a mirrorless crop sensor. So that means that all my EF lenses wouldn't work with the camera inless I put an adapter on the lens. Now when I am spending that kind of money I do my resurch so I new what I needed and how I would configure the camera for my type of photography. The camera came in Tuesday so I spent a good part of my evening setting it up the way I needed it. So the next morning I loaded up the car with more camera gear than I have ever taken on a trip. I was going to test it out in every way I could.... But then this happened.
When the Moose was added to my bucket list this was the moose I was thinking of. But as you have read (I hope you have anyway) Moose wasn't as easy to checkoff the list as it should of been. Now that I finally found moose I wanted that big bull. I was perfectly happy with the moose I had found before today. I wasn't upset that I hadn't gotten that big rack. I had gotten a cow and a bull, maybe not a monster but he was a little stud muffin in his own right. Then came the next trip, and that one after that where I was able to get a bull that actually had antlers, and again I was happy with that. Today all that went out the window. Today I got that big bull with the nice rack and at the same time I got the shot I had gone there for the trip before. I got the cow and her twin calves. They were so close to the big bull that I didn't even have to move the car. One was on one side of the road and one was on the other. I snapped a few quick shots of the bull then turned my attention to the cow and two calves. Bulls are nothing new, I've seen a lot of them (Not when I had a camera though) but I had not seen a cow with twins. So with two cameras in tow I went for the calves. Now there was no way in hell I was going to try to get close, that's a real good way to get yourself a trip to the ER. I had a 600mm and a 400mm lens with me and could weild the 400 with one had as it was light. Here are a couple shots I got.
They moved off and I wasn't going to follow, besides there was that big bull just on the other side of the road. So like any crazed photographer I turned my attention to the bull. He had worked his way around some brush so I had to hike out into the brush a little to locate him. As I was moving in he looked my way, I'm glad I grabed this shot because it was the only time he looked my way.
Now as I said it was the only time he looked my way. I moved around not caring if I made noise, after all he knew I was there, but he wouldn't look my way. Then I seen why!
I'm pretty sure I could of walked right up to him and slapped him on the butt and he wouldn't of known it. he was grunting and sniffing and if you look at the next few photos you will see him raising his head and sniffing and you can even see his breath when he was grunting.
The cow that had him all flustered also had a calf, it was an older calf and will be on its own soon (maybe today if he has anything to say about it)
So today was really quite the day, I had not only photographed a big bull, but I also got the twins and a single cow and calf. In total I saw eight moose today and I know there is at least two other bulls there. I'm spending the night here tonight and heading back out in the morning. Maybe I'll get those tests done. If not that means I'm having another awesome shoot and that I'll have to go somewhere else next week to do the tests. I can live with that really. I will do part #2 on here soon I have it all done in my head and kinda like it so it will get posted. Thanks for stopping by

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random photo blog #1

I dub thee "Shaggy"